Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Music & Books~ A journey into the soul of Darlene B. the Author



     


                                                            


      Music has always been a gateway for me to open up and take in every note. It's as if I was at the engineering board, orchestrating every note along with the artist or producer. Every syllable that vibrates over a beat or a melody, seems captures my attention and propels me into another orbit. Not just another world. Another galaxy.

From a young age, I've been exposed to all types music genres. From Country to R&B. Classical to Punk Rock. From Jazz to Contemporary. If it had a label and a hole in the middle ( for you youngins' I grew up with albums!) it was in my collection. I long for a record player. I think I will treat myself this Christmas!

Once everything started to go digital, it seemed like music was becoming less authentic. Not as rich and inviting as it once was. And yet, there on the horizon an abundance of new artists emerged and suddenly I got the pleasure of my favorite artist dropping a new collection of music for all of us to enjoy. Music can break racial barriers, teach the unteachable and bring people together that wouldn't normally even look at each other on the street. 

As I became a Mother, I shared my love for music with my children. Even now, their taste differs from their peers. Of course, they like some of the current "music". However, they know the history of certain genres and appreciate the previous generation's contributions to the music industry. Every now and again, my middle son will hear a song and text me. "Hey Ma, have you heard this?" My oldest will share a past moment in music he knows I will enjoy. The youngest of the siblings, my daughter just enjoys my collection and wants to mimic it somehow. I've told her this collection took years. My collection was put on my iPod which was stolen recently. It broke my heart to the point it's still difficult to talk about. They didn't just take a small device to sell in a pawn shop or on Instagram, they took my history and joy of adding to my library of memories that filled my ears with peace of mind and serenity. 

I will recover. I don't have a choice. Writing has the same effect on me. Reading and writing give me genuine satisfaction. I can deflect and become engrossed in my current project or the latest Stephen King novel.  I've never needed an escape from the real world full of despair, heartbreak, wonder, mystery, fear and a whole crop of emotions and events. Book and writing contain the same elements, just in a controlled environment. You can stop (if you can) whenever you want. Start when you want. There isn't a set timetable and yet the eagerness to write or read always gnaws at me. 

After a major setback, I can confidently say I'm on the mend. Thankfully and gratefully. 

As part of my comeback, I will introduce new projects from my close friends and start to carve out the pathway to re-energizing my projects and bring my characters back to life.

This week's feature is by my good friend Diane Morasco. Please take a moment to check out her website and explore her past and current projects. You won't be disappointed. 


Here is an example of her work...



Please click on the link below:

The lovely & talented Ms. Diane Morasco



October


My current obsession...Syd

Interview with Van Johnson on the Breakfast club



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Road to Becoming A Screenwriter

Hello Fam! Yes, I know. It's been a minute. Don't beat me up too bad. Moving, job changes, and life have definitely gotten in...