Monday, May 16, 2016

New Blog, New Ideas, New Attitude {Original Post date - Sept. 21, 2015}






Hello, My Dawnettes and welcome to another addition of "This is my life". I will be brutely honest, I've been through a few hurdles since we last talked but, I'm still standing. Don't rush out to grab the tissues just yet darlings. Stick around kiddies for the main event. 
There comes in time (I think) in everyone's life where they have to be their own cheerleader. The voice inside their head that screams wake up and get moving. I move to a different beat its true. I'm no different than anyone else. I need to be able to take care of my family and live my life. To carry myself with dignity and grace. At the same time be a little quirky and have some fun. Life is full of possibilities and life is short. Life is precious and fleeting. I have a lot to say in a short amount of time.
One of the things I have discovered even as recent as yesterday is that you have to create opportunity. No one is going to do that for you. I know for certain that it's one of the driving forces of why I created the characters the way I did.
I didn't see women of color in the genre I'm writing in as main characters, so I created them. I didn't see LGBT characters that were paranormal as main characters. So I created them. 
Toni Morrison said it best. "If there is a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, you must be the one to write it."

And I did. And I will continue to write what I want to read if it hasn't been written. 
Thank you for your continued support. 
Be well...
D.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Road to Becoming A Screenwriter

Hello Fam! Yes, I know. It's been a minute. Don't beat me up too bad. Moving, job changes, and life have definitely gotten in...